Monday, October 20, 2008

Pumpkin Cutout Cookies

Last year I was the room mom. I loved being the room mom, but it was a lot of work. Then we moved over the summer to a whole other state. No one at the new school knew of my talents as a room mom, so when that sign up sheet went 'round, I just watched it go by(my mind was saying "no" but my hand still almost had my name all over that sheet!) How is it then, that I found myself decorating 2 dozen pumpkin cutout cookies on a Sunday evening? Because I checked a little box that said I would like to help with the fall party by sending something in. That seemed harmless. Then I made the mistake of asking, "What do you need?" instead of just saying, "I'll send the juice boxes." This is how I ended up in charge of the snack, and a pumpkin, AND napkins. Not that I care. I just wanted to clarify why I was baking pumpkin cutout cookies on a Sunday. I have to also mention here that I had a couple of school imposed rules: NO cupcakes (which happen to be my Halloween specialty) and NO Halloween-themed "stuff". It was a FALL party NOT a Halloween party. Otherwise, these cookies would have had cute little jack-o-lantern faces instead of being plain ol' pumpkins. Does it sound like I'm complaining? Okay, I'll give it a rest and just show you those cookies.



This was a great little mommy and me project. You might notice the miniature rolling pin next to mine.







Next, you'll want to cut out the cookies. This is always a great way to involve the kiddos.




To transfer to the cookie sheet, I use a thin spatula. It slides under the flimsy dough and lifts easily, avoiding fingerprints in your pretty lil' cookies. Finger prints on your cutout cookies are not nostalgic like your beloved puppy's paw prints imprinted in your driveway concrete...it's just tacky. Use the spatula.


Cool.


Frost. We used orange sprinkles too. Gives them a little extra pizazz and texture. Plus, that's my daughter's favorite part. She does the sprinkles. It's her special job.



They are kind of pretty...for plain ol' pumpkins



Before I post the recipe for my cutout cookies, I have to come clean. The cookies that I baked yesterday and that are pictured here are NOT my usual cutout recipe. I tried a new recipe. It really wasn't that great. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Right? So, here is the cutout cookie recipe that I LOVE. It really is awesome. Best tasting cutout cookies. Ever. Make your own pumpkin cutouts or use it for Christmas (I don't, I'm a gingerbread kinda girl) or woo your sweetie for Valentine's Day with beautiful heart-shaped cookies made from this recipe:

White Velvet Cutouts

2 cups butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese
2 cups sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour

Cream the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla and mix well. Gradually add the flour. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Roll out to 1/4" thickness and cutout. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

1 comment:

The Jarrett Family said...

Ah, also my favorite! I use them around Valentine's Day! Maybe they will have a themed party for that too... although what would they call it a middle of the winter party?? The pumpkins looked adorable!

Related Posts with Thumbnails