Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wild Beef and Rice Medley



Just seeing if you all are paying attention. This is actually the post for Beef and Wild Rice Medley. Now, I've seen a steer go wild, and I've heard of a mad cow, but I'm pretty sure that you'd be hard pressed to find cattle that have not been intentionally bred, herded, and cared for in some way...even way out on "the range". I promise that I didn't venture into the Ohio Wilderness in camo and drag this beef back to my house. So it's wild rice, not wild beef tonight. Moving on...

You've gotta love quick and easy one pot dinners. This recipe hit the spot on a cold January night and I got to use up some of the sirloin from my freezer.

I mixed the garlic powder, thyme, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.


Then I sprinkled the spices over 1 lb. of sirloin steak, cut into cubes. I cooked the steak in 1 tablespoon of oil until no longer pink.


While the steak sizzled, I chopped 1/4 cup of celery and julienned 1/4 cup of green pepper.


Toss the veggies in the skillet and cook for another 2 minutes.


Now for the hard part... dump in 1 package of wild rice mix, the seasoning packet, and the water. Whew. I almost broke a sweat.



Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 23-28 minutes or until the rice is tender.


Once cooked, toss in a small diced tomato and stir until heated. You're also supposed to sprinkle with chopped green onion, which, in my opinion, would have been delicious. However, I walked right past the green onions at the corner store (on a mission for milk) not even an hour before I made this and thought to myself, "I'm sure I've still got green onions." I didn't. Oh well, please imagine this with the green onions.


Dig in!



Beef and Wild Rice Medley from Light and Tasty magazine
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/4 cup sliced celery
1/4 cup julienned green pepper
2-1/4 cups water
1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
1 small tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green onion

In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, thyme and cayenne. Sprinkle over beef.
In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook beef in oil until no longer
pink; drain. Stir in celery and green pepper; cook 2 minutes longer or until
vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the water and rice mix with contents of
seasoning packet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 23-28
minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in tomato; heat through. Sprinkle with
onion.

Yield: 4 servings.
One serving: 1 cup Calories: 327 Fat: 10 g Saturated Fat: 2 g Cholesterol: 63 mg Sodium: 626 mg Carbohydrate: 33 g Fiber: 1 g Protein: 26 g Diabetic Exchange: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat

WW points per serving: 7

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy! I've marked 5 of your recipes to make in the next 2 weeks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails