Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tuna Cakes



After last night's involved and indulgent burritos, I needed something quick and easy and a little lighter tonight. Some of you may remember that I'm not the biggest fan of canned tuna from my Spicy Tuna Linguine post. And you may also remember that my husband does little to disguise his distaste for "all things fish" if you read my fish taco post. Tonight, while I was mixing this up, he wandered through the kitchen and asked aloud, "I wonder what possesses someone to see that recipe and actually want to try it." These tuna cakes were pretty tasty. If you liked the tuna patties that your mom used to make, you'll probably like these better. And everyone ate them...without complaint. Not too shabby. Confession: though I despise that aquatic little twerp Sponge Bob Square Pants, and have seriously tried to ban him from our home, I may have employed Sponge Bob to entice my 4 year old to eat these, by calling them "crabby patties". Whatever works, right?

I found this simple recipe in Kraft Food and Family magazine. All you need is 12 oz. of white tuna in water, a package of stuffing, a cup of cheese, a carrot or two, some mayonnaise (I apologize for the state of my mayo container, it took a soak in the cooler after our last picnic),and some sweet relish.


Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl. Add 3/4 cup of water and mix well. Then cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.


Heat a skillet coated with cooking oil or non-stick cooking spray and place 1/3 cup portions of the tuna mixture onto the skillet, forming cakes.



Gently flatten using a spatula. Cook 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. I followed my husbands lead and sprinkled mine with Frank's Red Hot. Very nice.



Tuna Cakes from Kraft Food and Family

Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 26 min
Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients:
2 cans (6 oz. each) light tuna in water, drained, flaked
1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 cup KRAFT Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
3/4 cup water
1 carrot, shredded
1/3 cup KRAFT Real Mayo Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. CLAUSSEN Sweet Pickle Relish

Directions:

MIX all ingredients. Refrigerate 10 min.

HEAT large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium heat. Use ice cream scoop to add 1/3-cup portions of tuna mixture, in batches, to skillet.

FLATTEN into patties with back of spatula. Cook 6 min. or until golden brown on both sides, carefully turning patties over after 3 min.


Nutrition Information: Calories 320, Total fat 17 g, Saturated fat 5 g, Cholesterol35 mg, Sodium 810 mg, Carbohydrate 24 g, Dietary fiber 1 g, Sugars 3 g, Protein 19 g, Vitamin A 35 %DV Vitamin C 0 %DV Calcium 15 %DV Iron 10 %DV

Weight Watchers Points: 8 pts for 2 cakes. Use lowfat mayo and reduce fat cheese to shave fat grams and a point or two.

2 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Krista.. love this idea.. they sound delicious.. Great take on a crab cake.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Oh YUM! I've got to give these a try too.

Gave your burritos a shout out today - thanks for the inspiration!

Related Posts with Thumbnails