Monday, June 15, 2009

A Field Trip and Grilled Submarine Sandwiches

This morning, my daughters and I set out for one of my new favorite ingredient gathering destinations, The West Side Market. Not my first time to the market, I knew what this venue had to offer. I arrived prepared with my list...and shopping bags, and camera, and baby backpack (I do not recommend attempting to push a stroller). Not only do I love the variety and diversity that the market offers, I love the energy and color and...back to the bottom line...the fact that I can get quality goods for less cash than my local supermarket. Click the link to see a list of vendors and all that the West Side Market has to offer. If you're a Clevelander (10 months and 2 weeks for me...I'm not sure I'm a local yet)and you haven't visited the WSM, then go there! You'll fall in love. If you're visiting or passing through, please stop! Find a bargain, taste a sample, get inspired, make a friend...



Pastries!


Fresh made pasta! 8 bundles for $5 today!


A whole separate building full of competitively priced produce!


Here are my purchases today: delicious strawberries, honeydew melon (so sweet), broccoli ($1), mushrooms,a giant tomato, 3 bunches green onions, green pepper, fresh baked Italian bread, and 8 bundles of assorted fresh pasta (freezes well) all for around $16.



After a day at the market, a two hour traffic jam, and a trip to the zoo I was ready for a casual dinner on the deck! This sub sandwich, prepared on the grill, was the perfect dinner tonight.



I started by slicing an onion and green pepper, then I put them on a piece of foil and drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt.



Seal the edges of the foil and put the packet on the grill for 12-15 minutes.



While the onion and pepper grill, prepare your bread. I used Italian bread purchased from the market today. Slice it in half, hollow out the top, and brush with Italian dressing.






Now grill the bread for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.


Or in my case, until it looks "grilled".


Next I layered the meat and cheese on the bottom slice of bread.



Now top the with the grilled onions and peppers, pickles, and thinly sliced tomato.





Put a lid on it.



Wrap in foil. Grill again until the cheese is melted.



This is one serious submarine sandwich!



We're all set for a very casual dinner al fresco. I was all for keeping the mess outta the kitchen and enjoying this gorgeous June evening.



A cross sectional view:



This sandwich was good. Next time I think I'll deviate from the recipe a little. I might lose the turkey and add in pepperoni or salami. Pepperocinis instead of pickles. Some fresh ground pepper. More provolone. The cheddar was awesome in here. Maybe some shredded lettuce. Make it your own. I'd definitely grill a sub again!


Grilled Sub Sandwich from Taste of Home Cookbook 2005

1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing, divided
2 ounces sliced deli turkey
4 slices Swiss cheese
2 ounces sliced deli ham
3 slices cheddar cheese
2 ounces sliced deli pastrami
1/2 cup sliced dill pickles
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
Additional olive oil

In a large bowl, toss green pepper and onion with oil. Place on a double thickness
of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around vegetables and seal
tightly. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 12-15 minutes or until tender;
set aside. Cut loaf in half horizontally; remove bread from top half, leaving a
1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush cut sides of
loaf with salad dressing; place cut side down on grill. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Place bottom of loaf on a
double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. x 12 in.). Layer with turkey,
two Swiss cheese slices, ham, cheddar cheese, pastrami and remaining Swiss
cheese. Top with green pepper mixture, pickles and tomato. Drizzle remaining
dressing over cut side of bread top; place over filling. Brush bread with
additional oil. Fold foil around sandwich and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over
medium heat for 4-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into slices with a
serrated knife.

Yield: 4 servings.

For a printable copy of this recipe, click here.

8 comments:

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

That sub looks amazing!

Love the market. We don't have any such thing down here - but it does remind me a bit of the French Market in the Quarter in New Orleans, except with the exception of a few small areas with air blowing, theirs is pretty much open air - or at least it was before Katrina. I haven't been back since.

Heather S-G said...

Yes! I make an italian sammie like this that is sooooooo awesome! This does look major mouthwatering, though :) I love markets, too!

Chicago Mom said...

What a fabulous idea! It looks so good I want to make it tonight!

Reeni said...

The sub looks great - I love that you grilled it - yum! The market looks awesome - great deal on the fresh pasta!

Gloria Chadwick said...

The market looks wonderful and that sub is absolutely perfect! :)

Katy ~ said...

That just looks over the top good! We love subs in this house.

Rachel said...

Your sub sandwich looks unbelievably delicious!!!!!!!!!!! My husband would love this! I'll be adding it to my menu VERY soon...I can't wait to try it!!!!!!

I was looking around your blog and am so excited to start trying some of your recipes--everything looks so good!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Krista, I'm making this tonight. Yes, it's raining, but oh well! Can't wait to try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails