Thursday, October 8, 2009

Super Fast and Easy Swedish Meatballs

Let's take a one day departure from chicken to feast our eyes upon this:



Comfort food. Meatballs. Sour cream sauce. Curly egg noodles. Dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes. There are so many things to love about this recipe, found in the latest edition of Kraft food & family magazine. Remember my 5 ingredient challenge from a couple of weeks ago? This recipe fits the 5 ingredient criteria.

Here's what you need for the sauce: a jar of beef gravy, a cup of sour cream, and fresh parsley. You could cut fat and calories here by using fat free gravy and low fat sour cream. I didn't...but you totally could. Just a thought. (This is a perfect example of where "it's the thought that counts" doesn't really apply.) Thoughts of lower-calorie ingredients are probably not going to improve my love handles. I'm just sayin'!



Now that I've concluded my tangent of reflection on lower calorie ingredients, we can move on. You also need meatballs for this. Of course. Swedish meatballs. Thanks, Mrs. Obvious. Remember the meatballs that I made and froze last week? I thawed some of them in the refrigerator for this dish. If you really want to cut corners, you could just buy the meatballs from your grocer's freezer. Who am I to judge? I'm the girl who just mixed a jar of gravy with a cup of sour cream and called it dinner.



See? Mix the jar of gravy with a cup of sour cream in a skillet. Add in the meatballs and fresh, chopped parsley. Stir until the ingredients are combined and the meatballs are coated. Cover the skillet and cook over medium-high heat until the meatballs are heated through.



That's it. It really doesn't get much easier. Well, not unless you toss one of these into the microwave:



Speaking of which, this version of Swedish Meatballs tasted very similar to the Lean Cuisine version. Only, they probably used the low fat sour cream. Good for them! So if you like that, you'll like this:




The Best Meatballs from Kraft Foods food & family magazine

Prep Time: 20 min Total Time: 38 min Makes: 8 servings

What You Need for the meatballs:

2 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1-1/4 cups water
2 eggs

Make It:

HEAT oven to 400ºF.

LINE 2 (15x10x1-inch) pans with foil; spray with cooking spray. Mix ingredients until blended; shape into 32 (1-1/2-inch) balls, using 1/4 cup for each.

PLACE 16 meatballs in each prepared pan. Bake 16 to 18 min. or until done (160ºF).

Creamy Brown Gravy (What I call Sour Cream Sauce) adapted by me

Mix 1 jar (12 oz.) beef gravy, 1 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream and 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley in large skillet; cook on medium-low heat 3 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Add 16 meatballs; stir to evenly coat. Cover and cook until meatballs are heated through. Serve over hot egg noodles. Makes 4 servings, 4 meatballs and 1/3 cup sauce each.

How to Freeze Meatballs: Loosely pack cooled meatballs in freezer-weight resealable plastic bags. Lay bags flat in freezer so meatballs freeze individually. Store up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator several hours or overnight before using as desired.

7 comments:

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

You're so funny! And THAT looks amazing!! I could eat a huge bowl of Swedish meatballs.

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Coleens Recipes said...

I love meatballs of all kinds. It is one of my favorite comfort foods. I'm going to give this a try.

Chicago Mom said...

Yum yum yum! I am going to have to make a bunch of meatballs to keep in the freezer - what a great time saver. Anything with sour cream in it has to be good!

Katy ~ said...

My stomach is GROWLING for Swedish meatballs now that I see yours. Oh my, does this EVER look super good!!

Wendy said...

Thanks for a great and simple recipe. Perfect for a cold, autumn day.

Jennie said...

Wow! Those meatballs look amazing! I can't wait to give them a try! Thank you!

Cathy said...

These sound delicious. Can't wait to make them. Just found your blog and can't wait to get busy cooking!

Related Posts with Thumbnails