Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fabulous Focaccia Sandwiches



I recently checked out a wonderful cookbook from my library: Better Homes and Gardens Fresh and Simple 20 Minute Super Suppers. As I flipped through the pages, I was sticking post-it's all over the place! This book is full of quick and easy recipes that look and sound SO good. The Fabulous Focaccia caught my eye because it called for rotisserie-style chicken...a perfect way to use leftover Sticky Chicken! This was on the table in 15 minutes or less and a big hit at our house. Gotta love that!

You start with a round of foccacia. Focaccia comes in so many flavors. This one happens to be roasted garlic, but next time I might have to go with something with rosemary or onion. Just slice it in half with a serrated knife.



Now mix 3 tablespoons of light mayo with a couple tablespoons of fresh, chopped basil.



Spread the mayo on the top and bottom halves of the sliced bread. Wondering why my sandwich is missing a wedge? I sliced a quarter of the focaccia out for the kids. I knew that they wouldn't go for mayonnaise, roasted red pepper, or onion...they ate their with just spinach and chicken. Lay some roasted red peppers on the bread. I had planned to roast my own red peppers for this recipe. You can read about how to roast your own red peppers HERE. I grabbed a couple of red peppers in produce, but when I hit the condiment aisle, I found a whole jar of roasted red peppers on sale for less money than a pound of peppers. Oh, yeah! I'm all for saving time and money, so I added that jar of peppers to my cart and returned the fresh ones to produce.



Layer on the chicken.



Then spinach and thinly sliced red onion.



Put a lid on it and cut into triangles.



I thawed some of my Cauliflower Cheese soup from the freezer and heated it up while I made the sandwiches. It was a winning soup and sandwich combo. Such a quick and delicious dinner!



Fabulous Foccacia Sandwiches adapted from Better Homes and Gardens 20 minute Super Suppers

Ingredients
1 8- to 10-inch Italian flatbread (focaccia)
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise dressing or salad dressing
2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil
1 1/2 cups packaged prewashed spinach
1 1/2 cups sliced or shredded deli-cooked rotisserie chicken
1/2 of a 7-ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained and cut into strips
sliced red onion

Directions
1. Using a long serrated knife, cut the bread in half horizontally. In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise dressing and basil. Spread cut sides of bread halves with mayonnaise mixture. 2. Layer spinach, onions, chicken, and roasted sweet peppers between bread halves. Cut sandwich into quarters.

6 comments:

theUngourmet said...

This sandwich is calling my name! I just love foccacia bread. Rosemary and onion would be awesome too. Oh BTW, tried your soup. So Good!!

Kim said...

The Better Homes and Gardens book sounds like a winner to me. I have been such a lazy cook lately, wanting easy and quick recipes! This focaccia sandwich looks terrific, great use for your leftover chicken. Yum!

teresa said...

that looks incredible! a perfect meal.

Keri said...

Ohhhhhh, now this is one that has me salivating. Of course mayo and basil are two of my favorite things on the planet. Really nice. I have to say, you're right about the name " Fabulous Focassia" amazing. I'm taking a page from your book and makin it. Keri (a.k.a. Sam)

Holly said...

YUM!!! This looks and sounds really good! I'll have to check out this cookbook:)

Chicago Mom said...

I love foccacia bread, what a great dinner idea.

Related Posts with Thumbnails